Queen Anne Proclamation ordered quarantine on Britain

• Queen Anne Royal Proclamation published on November 8, 1711. H.M. ordered quarantine installation on British ports due to Plague, a term used at that time for infectious diseases without knowledge of the causative agents.

Here the immediate cause was an epidemic that broke out in the Baltic Sea area.

The Act came after the Quarantine Act of 1710. Dr. K. Mayer did not described any document for 1711. He mentioned the 1721 Act.

I scan all four pages of the document.

• Dear Hedy,

Thank you very much for showing this interesting document! Unfortunately the low resolution makes the pages hard to read.

I can recommend a book to people who are interested in the Baltic pest: "The Last Plague in the Baltic Region 1709-1713" by Karl-Erik Frandsen. On page 268 it deals with the disinfection of mail at the cordon sanitaire "When the cordon had been established, they had to designate a place where the mail bag could be delivered. The area had to be fenced in and covered, so the post would not affected by the rain and humidity. Firewood and a sharp fumigant of juniper and sulphur had to be provided to smoke the mail bags before these were brought by the walking postman to Copenhagen. The postman coming from Copenhagen had to fumigate the mail bags before he signed for them and left."

It would be interesting to see disinfected letters from this period but they seem to be rarer than diamonds.

Kind regards,

André

• Dear Andre

Scans heavier than 1 Mb can not be upload. I tried!:(

• Dear Hedy,

I have increased the maximum file size for you. Please give it a try.

Kind regards,

André