Smyrna to Trieste 1790

• I would appreciate your opinions about two letters sent from Smyrna to Trieste, 1790. I presume that both letters accompany money. The first question it is where were disinfected with vinegar. I tend to think they were sent with Neapolitan courier. Between 1788-1791 the Austrians suspended their postal services thru the Balkans because the war with the Ottomans.

If my supposition it is correct where the disinfection took place? Ragusa? Carlobago? Perhaps Venice? If you have other knowledge please let me know.

The second question it is if the number 1000 it is a money amount? Third question it is the meaning for "CAV". It is an abbreviation for Cavaliere?

Thank you

• Dear Hedy,

I have a similar letter from 1789 from Smyrna to Livorno with two slits. I was told that it is a Bill of Exchange and that the treatment (slitting mail) was not typical for this time in Livorno. Maybe both letters (your and mine) were disinfected at the same place.

1789: Letter from Smyrna to Livorno

Best regards,

André

• Dear Andre

Thank you for the answer. The left letter has a slit which I do not belive it is for disinfection. Possible all were disinfected in the same place. I am still looking for the route and place of disinfection.

• Dear Hedy,

The omission of rastel perforation make me think that both letters have not passed the Austrian military sanitary cordon. I assume they were sent by ship to the Italien states and disinfected there. Maybe Caroli has an idea which rout may be possible.

Kind regards,

André

• A very interesting publication related to early postal routes:

European Postal Networks

http://booksandjournals.brillo…/books/b9789004277199s003

• Thank you very much. It is very helpfully.