LA DISINFEZIONE DELLE LETTERE IN TOSCANA NEL PERIODO NAPOLEONICO

• I wish you all the best with you presentation. Is ist possible to order that booklet?

Kind regards,

André

• The book is on free distribution for ASPOT members (Associazione per lo studio della storia postale toscana). I suggest you to write to the ASPOT president, Alessandro Papanti (avv.papanti@yahoo.it) and ask him for a copy. I think there are volumes available for those who will send him a request.

• The bookis on free distribution for ASPOT members (Associazione per lo studio dellastoria postale toscana). I suggest you to write to the ASPOT president, AlessandroPapanti (avv.papanti@yahoo.it) and ask him for a copy. I think there are volumes available for thosewho will send him a request.

Thank you very much! I have send him a message.

André

• It's now possible to read and download the whole book at the link:

https://www.academia.edu/34079…A9riode_napol%C3%A9onien_

This work is about the disinfection treatment of the correspondence in the Tuscany interested directly or indirectly by serious events of epidemic nature. In particular it shall examine one relatively short historical period - the Napoleonic Age - during which sanitary incidents touched closely the Tuscany lands with the terrible epidemic yellow fever of Leghorn in 1804-1805.

Then it talks about the efforts of containing and preventing the infection which, by that period, was thought to be carried also by paper correspondence to humans. The passage through every Tuscany frontiers, both sea and land ones, of people, animals, goods and letters was regulated and the rules concerned the medical facilities of the neighboring countries too. The quarantine hospital were the structures designed to the activity of control and elimination of the risks of contagion. In Leghorn three were in operation, efficient and had been testing for many years of activity; but also others were created from there for the contingent necessities.

It primarily speaks of Tyrrhenian and insular Tuscany; it comes to be analyzed the method of disinfection of the letters, which is found to be characteristic at Leghorn according to the origin, while in the island of Elba more traditional systems were applied. A small but refined and functional "sanitary house" is planned at Piombino, inside which it might be the place where "affumare" the letters too. The mail boats in service between Bastia and Portoferraio were often set in quarantine, unlike those between Piombino and Portoferraio.

• Thank you very much.