Barcelona disinfection

• 1833 letter sent from Anvers (Antwerp, Belgium) to Lisbon, Portugal. At origin received three cachets all in red ink. The post-office double circles dated 11 AVRL and ANVERS 1833, one line "APRES LE DEPART" (too late) and P.P. for Pre Paid. M.s. directed the letter thru Perpignian. It was disinfected at Bercelona with vinegar. One horizontal slit, 20 mm long.

The 480 at top right is the Portuguese rate for a letter received overland via Spain weighting up to a quarter-ounce (7 grams).

• Dear Hedy,

It's an interesting letter. Why do you assume that it was disinfected in Barcelona? I have a similar letter from October 1832. It was sent from Marseille to Lisbon with a slit, 15 mm long.

• Would it be possible that the covers were disinfected at Col de Perthus, (where the French had their quarantine station)?

• Thank you for the interest. My cover has no slits. I took in acount the Col de Perthus possibility but they slit the letters.

• Dear Hedy,

I thought about both covers. In my opinion it makes sense that the letters were disinfected at the entry point of Spain and not in Barcelona. In this case they were disinfected at La Junquera.

All the best,

André

• Dear Andre,

A very good idea. It make sense.

Thank you

Hedy