Dimension: 48x11 mm / 48x12 mm
Form: single framed framed cachet
Meyer: page 164/165
Feuser: No. 55
Grobe: No. 9 (44?x11 mm)
Ravasini: No. 17, page 332 (38?x11 mm)
Please find attached a map with the route of three letters with the "KOEN:PREUSS: / SANITAET:STEMP" cachet:
- Jungbunzlau to Langensalza (July 3rd, 1831)
- Lauenburg to Stargard (Aug. 26th, 1831)
- Ratibor to Kosel (Sept. 28th, 1831)
1) I have one letter with this cachet (48x11 mm) in my collection. It was sent from Jungbunzlau (Austria) to Langensazla (Prussia). This letter is hard to explain. It has two manuscript marks "retour von Rumburg / zu Berlin" (return from Rumburg to Berlin), "von B Friedland / 6" (from Böhmisch Friedland / 6 SGr.) and a blackening. Rumburg was the exchange post office to Saxony and Böhmisch Friedland the exchange post office to Prussia. Langensalza is situated in the Province of Saxony (Prussia). My assumption is that sender has probably wrongly noted Saxony instead of Province of Saxony (Prussia) and the letter was delivered to Rumburg. There they noticed the mistake, blackened the note and directed the letter to Berlin. The postage of 6 SGr. equals sending a letter from Böhmisch Friedland to Berlin (30-40 miles). It is not known why the letter was sent to Berlin instead directly to Langensalza but there is a notice of the addressee on the backside that he has received and answered the letter.
2) The letter sent from Lauenburg to Stargard (48x12 mm) belongs to the collection of Hedy.
3) There is a third letter with this cachet known which was sent from Ratibor to Cosel. This letter was offered by the Auktionshaus Heinrich Köhler (357. Auktion).
Please add further letters known with this cachet.